Released vibe.d 0.8.1

Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 31 11:12:33 PDT 2017

Same here.  We are moving from mongo to postgresql. And we are going to
rewrite our geolocation services from C# and mongo to D(vibe.d) and
PostgreSQL

Dne 31. 8. 2017 7:15 odpoledne napsal uživatel "Matthias Klumpp via

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 at 11:56:53 UTC, aberba wrote:

> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 16:53:40 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 07:47:53 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>>
>>> Apart from removing the old vibe-d:diet package in favor of diet-ng,
>>> this release most notably contains a number of performance improvements in
>>> the HTTP server, as well as improvements and fixes in the WebSocket code.
>>> Furthermore, initial OpenSSL 1.1.x support has been added and a few @safe
>>> related issues introduced in 0.8.0 have been fixed.
>>>
>>> Change log:
>>> https://vibed.org/blog/posts/vibe-release-0.8.1
>>>
>>> DUB package:
>>> https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-d/0.8.1
>>>

>> Debian packages are on their way too :-) (pending approval from our
>> archive masters). Granted, this is most useful for Vibe.d-using software
>> that wants to be in Debian.
>>
>> Now, the only thing I am missing in Vibe is a good interface to
>> PostgreSQL, because in some circumstances MongoDB is just a very bad choice.
>> (Postgres even outperforms it in my testcase, and PG supports JSON/BSON
>> as well now).
>> DPQ2[1] looks very promising though :-)
>>
>> Thank you for making Vibe.d!
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/denizzzka/dpq2
>>

> Even with mysql (using mysql-native), the absent of something like
>
> struct User {
>     @optional int userName; //its ok if row doesn't have this column
>     @as("phone_number") string phoneNumber;
> }
>
> User[] users;
> foreach(row; ...)
> {
>     users ~= row.toStruct!User;
> }

I would love that :-)

MongoDB has facilities for these stuff automatically thats why using it
> seem convenient and speeds up stuff.

Yeah, it speeds up development, but that doesn't help much if Mongo
swallows your data or messes up replication, or if your data by its nature
simply does not fit a document store well.
I've found Postgres to be very reliable and also very fast in the past, and
- in large part thanks to Vibe.d - I am using Mongo now in a test
deployment instead of it. I don't feel comfortable at all in continuing to
use it though, which is unfortunate, since the development speed with it is
quite high.