GSoC 2018 - Your project ideas

Craig Dillabaugh craig.dillabaugh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:25:13 UTC 2017

On Monday, 11 December 2017 at 09:14:29 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
wrote:
> On Friday, 8 December 2017 at 06:43:22 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 December 2017 at 22:26:08 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
>> wrote:

>>> I see there is a dub section in [2]. Maybe another issue that
>>> has been brought up repeatedly fits in that category, namely
>>> extending code.dlang.org in various ways?
>>
>> +1111
>>
>> Indeed enhancing user experience of code.dlang.org such as
>> showing github stars and e.g. downloads per month would be way
>> more important then build tool itself.
>
> +10^^4
>
> I recommend to add a "donate for button", and to evaluate and
> visualize how many people are donating, for a certain package.
> This might give strong evidence where to invest more time - man
> power.
> In the first step the D Foundation should get all money and
> should try to use it to support the most often selected
> packages, to avoid loosing focus.

Martin, I am replying to your post specifically, but this reply
is targeted at the 'code.dlang.org' discussion in general.

Improvements to code.dlang.org are going to be borderline
ineligible for a GSoC project.  Any such project would have to be
carefully crafted so that it is a development project and not a
website maintenance/upgrading project. In any case this work can
likely be made into something valid, but the project would need
involve a cohesive development effort and not a series of minor
improvements (even if they mostly involved coding).