run.dlang.io - a modern way to run D code

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Dec 13 09:32:15 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 08:33:36 rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> On 13/12/2017 8:11 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 08:04:19 rikki cattermole via
> > Digitalmars-d->
> > announce wrote:

> >> One word, dmd.
> >
> > What about it?
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> It is required to be compiled by (I think) 2.068.2 for bootstrapping
> purposes.
>
> So at the very least there is one code base in very active use by the D
> community using such an old version. Can't ignore it.

I don't see how that really has anything to do with a website that's used to
test snippets of code, and the reality of the matter is that there's pretty
much no way that dmd is going to continue to be compatible with that version
of the language forever - especially with all of the stuff that Walter has
been doing with scope. At some point, backwards compatibility will be
sufficiently broken that dmd won't be able to compile with both 2.068.2 and
the most recent version, meaning that bootstrapping will have to be done in
more steps, or it will have to be done via cross-compiling. Regardless, it's
not like anyone is going to be using run.dlang.io for building dmd.

- Jonathan M Davis