Released vibe.d 0.8.2

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sun Dec 17 15:24:29 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 14:13:05 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 12:52:57 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> This shouldn't have been released as 0.8.2, because it has a
>> lot of breaking changes.
>>
>> For an instance anything that relies on HTTPServerRequest.path
>> will break.
>>
>> I'm aware that there has been added the "requestPath"
>> property, but it's still a breaking change to all existing
>> code that relies on the old "path" property. Especially when
>> it's used to manipulate the path you receive.
>>
>> Diamond cannot currently be used with latest release of
>> vibe.d, because of this and it was relying on vibe.d with
>> following dependency:
>>
>> "vibe-d": "~>0.8.1"
>>
>> 0.8.2 should not be a breaking change, assuming you follow
>> semantic versioning.
>>
>> https://semver.org/
>
> 4. Major version zero (0.y.z) is for initial development.
> Anything may change at any time. The public API should not be
> considered stable.

0.x.Y should always be compatible with 0.x.Z without breaking
changes.

Since it's MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH

This is a patch release 0.8.1 to 0.8.2 which means:

"PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes."

Even a minor version should be backward-compatible.

"MINOR version when you add functionality in a
backwards-compatible manner, and"

I'm all for deprecating said features, but plain removing them in
a release like this is a breaking change and should at the very
least be a minor version upgrade, but definitely not a patch.