two points

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 00:02:23 PST 2017

On 2/8/2017 11:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I fixed an issue where "///"-style doc comments resulted in excessive paragraph
> breaks...must've been over a year ago. Simple fix for a nagging bug. The fix
> worked. Caused no problems. No controversy. And to this day, just went
> completely ignored despite my periodic nagging about it. Eventually got tired
> wasting my time babysitting the constant need for rebasing and manual merge
> fixes just for something that proved guaranteed to be ignored. And any PRs I
> have managed to get through were all uphill battles the whole way.

The PR in question:

   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/4745

It took me a while to find it, because you were using a pseudonym that I did not
recognize. There are a number of frequent contributors to D using pseudonyms,
and all have this issue with varying degrees.

I do not understand using pseudonyms on github. It can hardly be a privacy
issue, as github doesn't hide your name. But it definitely impedes your "brand",
i.e. your reputation, as it becomes divided in two. Github does not provide a
"reverse phone book" where I can search for a PR under your name, nor does it
provide any sort of cross reference. Searching (via github) the dmd repository
for your name turns up nothing.

I found it by searching the notification emails I get from github, which
ironically are sent using your name rather than Abscissa (further confusing
matters).

I suppose I could write a cheat sheet and tape it to the wall of my office, but
why not just use your name?