Questionnaire

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 08:33:18 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 18:27:57 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
wrote:
> 2. Have you use one of the following Mir projects in production:
>
>   a. https://github.com/libmir/mir
>   b. https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm
>   c. https://github.com/libmir/mir-cpuid
>   d. https://github.com/libmir/mir-random
>   e. https://github.com/libmir/dcv - D Computer Vision Library
>   f. std.experimental.ndslice

I wasn't going to comment, since I'm not part of the target
group, but I have enough familiarity with commercial usage to
give you an answer to this question.

Why would someone in an "enterprise" situation want to use Mir?
If you create a nice R package to make Mir functionality
available to Rcpp users, and you provide new functionality not
currently available in other R packages (with good performance to
boot), you will see commercial usage. But it has to be a package
they can install from CRAN/Github/Bitbucket using the R package
manager. They're not going to mess around with Dub.

The same is true for Matlab/Octave/Python. Make extensions that
others can use within their current workflow, and they will use
it. Leave it as a Dub package and they won't touch it. You've
done a lot of good work, but it's kind of a dead end to target
the standalone D program market right now.