Questionnaire

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 09:28:47 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 18:27:57 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
wrote:
> 1. Why your company uses  D?
>
>   a. D is the best
>   b. We like D
>   c. I like D and my company allowed me to use D
>   d. My head like D
>   e. Because marketing reasons
>   f. Because my company can be more efficient with D for some
> tasks then with any other system language

I'm the only person I personally know who uses D. I mainly use it
for personal projects. I like it because the other languages I
more often use, like R or Python, are just not sufficient for
some purposes. I've tried C++, but I like D a lot more.

> 2. Does your company uses C/C++, Java, Scala, Go, Rust?

Not my group, but I imagine other parts.

> 3. If yes, what the reasons to do not use D instead?
>
> 2. Have you use one of the following Mir projects in production:
>
>   a. https://github.com/libmir/mir
>   b. https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm
>   c. https://github.com/libmir/mir-cpuid
>   d. https://github.com/libmir/mir-random
>   e. https://github.com/libmir/dcv - D Computer Vision Library
>   f. std.experimental.ndslice

Not in production, but in personal projects.

> 5. What D misses to be commercially successful languages?

I would probably say libraries is most important. Mir is a great
advance. I've been applauding your work all the way through.
There are two things that I think Mir needs most (and we've
talked about them before as things you were thinking about) and
then a third is a nice-to-have
1) A higher level layer with more convenient syntax for Mir-Glas
2) Lapack support (eigenvalues, svd, & cholesky/qr decompositions)
3) D compute support (would be nice to easily offload big
computations to GPU)

Other stuff I would find useful:
1) R integration (I know someone's done work on this, but it's
hard to find and I don't remember if it works on Windows. Really
just needs a champion)
2) Stan (http://mc-stan.org/) interface

> All my current D project are finished. Probably I will use
> other languages for production this year, Java/Go/whatever. Mir
> libraries are amazing and good quality. If you use them this
> would be a good motivation for us to improve the docs and
> provide regular updates. Plus, it can be enchanted during the
> GSoC 2017.

I agree on GSOC 2017, but you should provide some sort of
guidance or support. I hope Mir gets more attention!