Questionnaire

aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 11 12:18:28 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 18:27:57 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
wrote:
> 1. Why your company uses  D?
>
>   a. D is the best
>   b. We like D
>   c. I like D and my company allowed me to use D
>   d. My head like D
>   e. Because marketing reasons
>   f. Because my company can be more efficient with D for some
> tasks then with any other system language

A.
My on the way to be legalized personal (dictatorship :) )
business is using D and vibed. I'm developing a platform like
pinterest but different audience (local). I'm in Ghana (West
Africa) so I bearly know any D coder. It did not use php (the
short path) for long term performance and clean code base...  D
is just the right tool for it. I'm more of a practical coder
(immediate solution) than GC, @safe, betterC advocate.
> 2. Does your company uses C/C++, Java, Scala, Go, Rust?

Nope. Not interested
> 3. If yes, what the reasons to do not use D instead?
>
> 2. Have you use one of the following Mir projects in production:
>
>   a. https://github.com/libmir/mir
>   b. https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm
>   c. https://github.com/libmir/mir-cpuid
>   d. https://github.com/libmir/mir-random
>   e. https://github.com/libmir/dcv - D Computer Vision Library
>   f. std.experimental.ndslice
>
> 3. If Yes, can Mir community use your company's logo in a
> section "Used by" or similar.

Not having need for any of them ATM.
> 4. Have you use one of the following Tamedia projects in your
> production:
>
>   a. https://github.com/tamediadigital/asdf
>   b. https://github.com/tamediadigital/je
>   c. https://github.com/tamediadigital/lincount

No. You were maintaining the s3 lib which is now frozen. But
that's my take. Performance is tomorrow's problem.
> 5. What D misses to be commercially successful languages?

To me, is not the technical detail but what I can do with it. Its
libs. Image and video processes, storage apis (minio, s3, swift,
etc.), db libraries. Real-world everyday problems.
> 6. Why many topnotch system projects use C programming language
> nowadays?
>
> =========================
No comment

> All my current D project are finished. Probably I will use
> other languages for production this year, Java/Go/whatever. Mir
> libraries are amazing and good quality. If you use them this
> would be a good motivation for us to improve the docs and
> provide regular updates. Plus, it can be enchanted during the
> GSoC 2017.

Lack of An improved and tested s3 compatible api is much the deal
breaker at the moment for me. Object storage (cloud) is the way
forward. Docker, k8s, etc. are all the driving forces. S3 being
the pioneer in object storage has moved most of them to support
s3 apis (Minio for instance is a driving force for using Go lang
in containerized storage and computing.).

I rather urge community to focus [some] attention on everyday
demands. And take them by storm with D. Its not a lang problem
... JavaScript is top cus its useful (not efficient).