two points

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 12 10:31:57 PST 2017

On 02/09/2017 03:02 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

> It took me a while to find it, because you were using a pseudonym that I
> did not recognize. There are a number of frequent contributors to D
> using pseudonyms, and all have this issue with varying degrees.
>[...]
> I suppose I could write a cheat sheet and tape it to the wall of my
> office, but why not just use your name?

Partly because I just like online handles. Also, brevity: "Sabalausky"
is a bit of a monster and also tends to intimidate the crap out anyone
trying to pronounce it (and very understandably so). "Abscissa" is
shorter than my last name alone, easier to spell, plus I've been using
it for about 20 years, so it's kind of just habit now and almost just as
much a name to me online as "Nick". Not that it's much easier to
pronounce (except for those well-versed in uncommonly-used math
terminology), but it's probably at least a little less panic-inducing,
pronunciation-wise ;)

And online (in general anyway), I like that "Abscissa" is less
uniquely-identifiable than my name - unlike my name, there actually ARE
other people going by "Abscissa". I like having my online identity split
into multiple ones, and I like the lack of clarity as to which
"Abscissa" fellas are the same ones: It creates privacy in a frontier
that is increasingly "privatized big brother". Reliably-unique real
names like mine are a data miner's dream - may as well be going by my
social security number. Unlike "Abscissa", anyone going by "Nick
Sabalausky" is either me or somebody deliberately impersonating me.

In any case, your point is certainly a valid one. I've adjusted my
newsreader to include Abscissa along with my real name, so hopefully
that will at least help.