Vibrant 2.0, major update

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 13 13:28:19 PST 2017

On Monday, 13 February 2017 at 19:46:42 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2017-02-13 15:22, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> It's the 10th update for this abstract shooter made in D.
>>
>> And this one update is pretty major: levels, asteroids,
>> storyline, game
>> modes... everything changed, everything went under scrutiny.
>>
>> Now using LDC 1.1.0 and supporting Windows, Mac and Linux
>> x86_64
>> (tested: Debian and Ubuntu).
>>
>> Available as a demo on itch.io: https://ponce.itch.io/vibrant
>> Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VCv21KqC40
>>
>> Yeah, it isn't free anymore, but the first 15 levels are.
>
> I gave it a try, really cool. Love that it works on macOS,
> great work. What kind of tools/techniques/libraries are used?

Very simple, SDL2 + SDL2_mixer and legacy OpenGL for graphics.

OpenGL compatibility work was mostly done years ago so it became
better supported as a byproduct of drivers getting more stable.
If it was to be done today SDL2 renderers would be used for their
guarantees.

Big mistake were: having a variable timestep, and having custom
adhoc physics.