Silicon Valley D Meetup - January 26, 2017 - "High Performance Tools in D" by Jon Degenhardt

Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 18 13:22:33 PST 2017

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 07:50:02 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 27 January 2017 at 18:20:53 UTC, Jon Degenhardt
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 27 January 2017 at 16:21:51 UTC, Jack Stouffer
>> wrote:

>>> Hey Jon, if you're in this thread, are you able to post any
>>> of the code that you use for tsv parsing?
>>
>> Code has been open-sourced:
>> https://github.com/eBay/tsv-utils-dlang
>>
>> The performance benchmarks showed in the talk are not in the
>> repo, the benchmarks currently listed are from a year ago. I'm
>> planning to update the repo in the next few weeks, probably
>> after the next LDC release.
>>
>> If there are questions about specific types of things perhaps
>> a thread in General forum would work.
>>
>> --Jon
>
> Watched the video some time back, interesting results.  Any
> plans to blog about this?  It would be great if you could run
> them through a profiler too, see why D is so much faster.
> Would be really worth writing this up, maybe on the D blog.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty close to publishing the
benchmarks, they'll go in a doc file in the repository. They
weren't quite complete when the meetup happened.

Regarding a blog post - I haven't talked to Mike Parker, if
there's interest I'd be open to it.

As to why the tools compare so well - That's a really intriguing
question, especially since the tools favor using high level
constructs from D / Phobos rather than hand-built data structures
or memory management. I have hypotheses, but no sure answers.
Some of it likely involves design choices rather than language
facilities per se, but even so, it's a good story for D.

--Jon