Android LDC in a Container

Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 20 04:47:19 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> I haven't actually had a chance to try either this or Joakims's stuff by
> itself, although I am interested. Can you describe how this repo simplifies
> things?

Using the docker image just makes it so that you don't have to do the
builds yourself. The docker image works on multiple OS. I've built
Joakim's stuff myself and used the docker image and the docker image
saves time if you're just wanting to take a quick look.

> Also, using this stuff, is there a way for the D application to call into
> Android's API?

Regarding Android's API there is the NDK. NDK exposes a cut down
version of the Linux/posix APIs and JNI for interfacing with the VM,
the app still runs in its own sandbox and you can call Java code or
have Java call your code. DlangUI has some android code. Check out
native-activity [0] for accessing the screen and sensors natively (it
seems to be the most popular native example.

[0]: https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ndk/tree/master/native-activity