Vision document for H1 2017

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 7 12:10:17 PST 2017

On 01/05/2017 11:45 PM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 05.01.2017 um 01:59 schrieb Paul O'Neil:
>> On 01/04/2017 02:22 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> We release a brief Vision document summarizing the main goals we plan to
>>> pursue in the coming six months. This half we are focusing on three
>>> things: safety, lifetime management, and static introspection.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2017H1
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> What are the plans for the dub registry?  Have there been discussions
>> already?
>
> I'm not aware of concrete discussions w.r.t. the vision document

I think there won't be much discussions about the goals (maybe about the
priorities). Many people come up with the same ideas to resolve the pain
points.

Actually I have a draft for a renewed site, will look at implementing
that (hopefully with Sebastian, Söhnke, and others) in the next few month.

So far haven't found an angle at breaking up the story though, it's
fairly intermingled. If we can't do it incrementally, that would require
a bit more orchestration for a major rerelease.

- better search, also on README bodies (e.g. sqlite FTS)
- tagging instead of hierarchical categories
- ranking (downloads, stars, dependents, testing...)
- better landing page (big search form and listing 10 top, 10 trending,
and 10 newest packages)
- better GH integration

Personally would approach this mid/end of March, but if enough people
have time we could do it earlier.

https://dlang.slack.com/messages/dub/