Vision document for H1 2017

Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 12 07:11:23 PST 2017

On Thursday, 12 January 2017 at 09:54:08 UTC, Mark wrote:
> I think the "D for C++ programmers" page could use a revamp:
>
> https://dlang.org/cpptod.html
>
> At the moment it mainly explains where and how D differs from
> C++. Whoever reads it may be ready to write C++ code in D, but
> this seems pointless and may give the impression that D is just
> C++ with a different syntax plus a few minor features (strong
> typedef and the scope statement). The page doesn't mention D's
> dynamic arrays, associative arrays, ranges, UFCS, function
> attributes and so on).

It's intended to help C++ programmers switch to D, not as a
comparison. It also links to:

https://dlang.org/ctod.html

which does mention arrays and various other small things.

(I noticed some minor things to fix and submitted a pull request).

> One idea on my mind is providing various (honest, not
> specifically tailored) examples of C++ code that aims to solve
> a certain problem, and how the same problem can be solved in D
> in a better way (in some sense). I've seen this done
> effectively with Java vs. Scala.

Sounds good. I think this thread is for big issues that need core
focus though, anyone here can and should submit documentation.