Pixel Perfect Engine (formerly known as VDP-Engine) version 0.9.1-rc1 released

solidstate1991 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 21 05:59:50 PST 2017

On Saturday, 21 January 2017 at 01:55:54 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
> This would have been the perfect place for you to describe what
> this project is about.
>
> Pixel Perfect Engine is a 2d graphics system based on SDL and
> FreeImage. It appears to be tile-based and incorporate a map
> editor.

It's mainly an engine for retro-styled games that uses fixed
point rendering through the CPU (and later on with an OpenCL
option) to give a "pixel-perfect appearance" instead of the usual
stretched out low-res objects on a hi-res screen as usually seen
in unity and other engines. Currently scrolling is done via
brute-force, as even my low-end PC is capable of rendering 60+
frames per second, but more CPU intense stuff (like background
rotations) will done through backbuffers and barrel-shifting.

While it's mostly tile-based, I'm planning to add options for
things like vectoral backgrounds, tile backgrounds for isometric
games, also one can generate backgrounds through sprites too.

FreeImage is only used by the editor, the engine itself has a
proprietary image format that can store graphical elements and
animations at different sizes. The format itself might get its
own library if others will see anything in it.