Work on ARM backend for DMD started

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 4 14:25:38 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 at 21:10:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/4/2017 1:15 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> Most arm implementation are not as forgiving as contemporary
>> x86 processors when it comes to bad register scheduling and
>> the like.
>
> The backend's scheduler is actually very effective. It mattered
> with the Pentium and Pentium Pro processors, but not anymore.
> But the code is still there, and still works, and the algorithm
> is sound.
>

> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/src/ddmd/backend/cgsched.c

At a first glance it looks highly x86 specific.
I am not sure how much of this really lends itself to be applied
on arm.
The backend-IR does not seem to be able to express some ARM
concepts such as predicated instructions. While those maybe
shoehorned in, it is likely to be impractical to reuse most of
this code.