Work on ARM backend for DMD started

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 4 17:46:31 PDT 2017

On 7/4/2017 2:25 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> I am not sure how much of this really lends itself to be applied on arm.

The code generator started out as 16 bits, and was that way for 10 years or so.
x87 got added in later. Then it was adapted for 32 bits. Another 10 years went
by, then 64 bits, and then XMM vector instructions.

So I think it has proven itself to not be horribly locked in to one
architecture. x86, x87, and XMM are quite different.

There were also at one time back ends for the 68000 and the PowerPC that used
the same optimizer and IR.