Call for arms: Arch Linux D package maintenance

Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 9 12:56:20 PDT 2017

On Monday, 17 April 2017 at 11:04:11 UTC, R McGuire wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 April 2017 at 09:34:00 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 16:17:32 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>>>
>>> Any news on this? The arch packages are listed as orphaned.
>>
>> Same question, and adding that I volunteer to take over.
>>
>> Atila
>
> Are you involved in Arch?
>
> The update is that Arch TUs are not likely to accept one of us
> that is not very involved in Arch. I've been watching the Arch
> mailing lists a bit and two users that tried to get involved
> were rejected and one user who is _very_ involved and has been
> for years got accepted.
>
> I have tried to contact the last person that built the packages
> to see I could help with the dlang packages but have not
> received a reply yet.

Ouch - so how do we improve the status quo?
It's July, the packages are still listed as orphans [1], haven't
received the 2.074.1 update and the Arch TUs are clearly not
interested in maintaining it (its flagged as out-of-date since
beginning of June). Moreover, with the recent move to -fPIC
(which currently is in -fPIC), the packages would need a rebuilt
with -fPIC (see [2]).
Anyone with an idea?

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/dmd
[2]