JavacTo - translate java source to D

Patrick via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 9 18:52:51 PDT 2017

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce a new java prototype application that is
designed to translate java source into D source. Or any other
language that support package, class, interface, and enum
constructs and provides a built in memory garbage collection.
Supporting D with JavacTo was my first choice!

JavacTo available at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/javacto/

Please see the "How To use JavacTo.pdf" part of the download
package for more information.

This tool is designed to explore the challenges faced in
translating from one language to another. For example what type
of code is suitable for auto-translation and what code will
required complete rewrite? What level of automation can be
expected? What java packages should be translated and what
packages can be skipped? Are helper classes a good approach in
bridging java to other language specific features? These are just
a few questions that I've been working on as I've been writing
this tool.

I think JavacTo is a good starting point for people who are
interested in this topic.

IMHO moving java opensource projects to D has the potential to be
an incredible win for the D language/community.

Patrick