Hiring D programmers (with cryptography and blockchain knowledge are preferred)

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 14 08:21:09 PDT 2017

On 14/07/2017 4:01 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:37:56 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:

>>> Blockchains work by making the entire history available to be
>>> verified and computed against. This is entirely its selling point.
>>> So no, a block chain can never be fixed sized.
>>>
>>> After all, how do you know that X owns the coin and not just some
>>> random node trying to corrupt and steal every bodies coins?
>>
>> But it's so expensive... Soon, bitcoin will have a whole terabyte to
>> be downloaded... So, no deal?
>> That's sad.
>
> I was thinking of doing something big... An operating system? With
> everything that a user could desire of?
> Big projects are necessary, for D to get more... known (and therefore,
> more used).
>
> A phone OS (ARM)?
>
> I heard that DMD will accept ARM very soon. While that doesn't happen,
> there are other compilers for ARM... So a phone OS could be interesting.
> A phone OS written in D.
>
> There are kernels done in D already.
> But I don't think they are as complete as Linux's for example.

Scale your dreams back a bit.

If you want to put money into anything here is my list:

1. Get shared libraries 100% working, with clear articles on how to use
it, on every platform.
2. std.experimental.color, it seems Manu is stalled
3. std.experimental.image, ok ok, this one is mine but its about time we
get the damn interfaces standardized in Phobos!
4. GUI widget rendering library, GUI widget != GUI toolkit (think just
rendering a single control), basically handles rendering + accessibility.

These are not big projects, but they would go a long way to getting any
thing really "cool".
Keep in mind, money talks. Getting the right people available to work on
a project full time for a few months would really speed a lot of this
stuff up.

There is also other stuff like a bidi library, font rasterizer and other
more useful infrastructure projects that actually has a chance of being
completed.

Depending on how far you want to go, my list alone is a few years worth
of work for a 3-5 people team.