Release D 2.075.0

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 22 14:22:00 PDT 2017

On 7/22/2017 2:04 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> Also translating the C++ backend to D zero benefit to D users (at worst it
> introduces codegen bugs). I'm inclined to say we should rather spent our time on
> the various more important issues.
> It was a good move for the frontend as that will allow us to make use of D
> features to improve the code/architecture and to eventually turn it into a
> proper library.
> Converting the stable and well tested codebase of the backend, which will hardly
> receive any feature development, is unlikely to ever pay off.

It'll be converted anyway. :-)

I'm about half way through converting the DMC++ front end. It isn't as difficult
as I expected. The -betterC is helping a lot, as well as the fact that DMC++ is
still pretty much C code. Some years back Daniel Murphy and I removed a lot of
the preprocessor trickery from it, which helps, too.

Note that DMC++ is now Boost licensed as well.

Putting the entire set in D (C compiler, C++ compiler, C preprocessor, htod
converter, optimizer, code generator) makes the whole thing much more tractable,
and who knows what we will be able to do with it!