Release D 2.075.0

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 24 17:44:44 PDT 2017

On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 23:25:50 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 22:15:16 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>> One thing to watch out for, though, is that if the D frontend
>> starts using features introduced after its conversion to D, we
>> are going to need to explicitly document the bootstrapping
>> path (right now it's still simple enough with `C++ compiler ->
>> D compiler with 2.068.2 frontend (e.g. ldc 0.17.x) -> Latest D
>> compiler`).
>
> We're using the latest previous major release line to build
> releases, so 2.068.x build 2.069.x, builds 2.070.x, ..., builds
> 2.075.0.

That's a sensible choice for the official binary distribution.

> You might get away with skipping versions, but that's not how
> the releases were built.

When you bootstrap (e.g. on any source based Linux distribution
such as Gentoo, Funtoo, ...) you want the path to be as short as
feasible (even with dmd's fairly short compile times) and how the
official binary releases are/were build isn't part of the
consideration, because - unlike them - you don't happen to have a
D compiler with D frontend version - 1 ready for use.
In any case, all that would be required - if the path ever
becomes longer - would be an automatically updated file like this:

bootstrap-path:
---
2.068.2
---

An autotester can then check before each release if dmd master
can still be build by dmd with the version of the last line in
that file, and if not, append the last dmd release to it.