D for Android beta

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 2 12:07:36 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 at 19:45:17 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Very exciting! :)
>
> On 06/01/2017 12:31 PM, Joakim wrote:
>
> > I will write up instructions on how to write an Android app
> in D _on_
> > your Android device
>
> I hope it will be detailed enough for people who are very new
> to programming on the Android.

Yes, the goal is to document all the steps, like I do on the wiki
for cross-compiling now, but more so because it's completely new
to most and requires a few more steps than the official NDK/SDK.
But the official NDK requires using or mimicking their build
system and the SDK can be a bear to setup, as they give you a ton
of stuff like an IDE and emulators, so this might actually be
easier overall.

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 at 21:54:59 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 June 2017 at 19:31:28 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> [awesome text]
>
> This is great stuff Joakim!
> It's very nice to see your detailed release notes, with links
> to the patches. Hope we can get much of that into LDC master
> soon.

There's not much left, the cross-compiler doesn't require any
patches and the remaining tweaks to druntime/phobos are minimal.
I'll get the last bits in, with the exception of that workaround
in std.stdio for the regression specific to Android 5.0.

On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 00:00:17 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Congratulations, Joakim!
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6eqv46/write_mixed_dc_android_apps_even_build_them/
> and news.ycombinator.com
>
> Looking forward to termux.

Thanks for publicizing it, looks like you've started a discussion
on reddit.