Release D 2.074.1

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 3 12:02:36 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 18:42:57 UTC, Seb wrote:
> So, I guess your problem is the VERSION file on the dmd stable
> branch?

No, it's the VERSION file present if one checks out the v2.074.1
tag.

I suspect this doesn't show up in the official packages because
IIRC the VERSION file is edited as part of the standard
official-package build process.

> Can't you simply overwrite the VERSION file in your build
> process?
> Otherwise it's just one simple PR away ;-)

The point is here that this keeps happening.  Assuming a VERSION
file is considered necessary at all (I believe the intent is to
support people using a tarball of the source rather than a git
checkout), it shouldn't be possible for a release to be made
without it containing the correct version number.

Workarounds like this just perpetuate the problem and throw a
burden on downstream packagers.  Now that dmd is open-sourced and
widespread packaging is feasible, it really would be preferable
to fix the problem where it arises.