Release D 2.074.1

Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 3 14:17:18 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 19:57:36 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:
> It's a mistake that remains tolerated, despite the problem
> being known and having an associated issue, because the
> dlang/installer scripts work around it, meaning the fundamental
> problem never gets fixed.

I understand the problem, but there's only so much Martin can do
in his free time.

>> So I'm not sure how necessary it is.
>
> The problem here is that anyone downstream wanting to build or
> package from source has to work around this issue, that without
> manual intervention, the version information of the compiler
> will be incorrect.

Yep, but it's just a one-liner, right?
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/dmd#n32

> If that's not fixed in how dmd itself is managed (NOT the
> dlang/installer scripts), this will continue to be an
> unnecessary burden on downstream packagers.

Well, as said before _until_ there's no one volunteering to do
this, it won't happen.
FWIW in the past sometimes even bumping the major version has
been forgotten:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commits/master/VERSION

> I very much appreciate your pointing me to material that can
> help me create a workaround.  But I'd feel a lot better about
> implementing such a workaround if I felt sure that there was a
> clear understanding of why it matters to fix this properly in
> dmd itself.

I pointed you to the release scripts, because these are the spots
where an addition to automatically update the VERSION file could
be inserted ;-)
For example, the PRs merging stable <-> master are generated from
these scripts as well.