Snap packages for DMD and DUB

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 6 09:13:28 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 at 14:27:40 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> Have you thought about creating a `dtools` package with rdmd,
> dustmite, and ddemangle in it?
> They are useful for LDC and GDC too, perhaps people would like
> to be able to install them without needing to install DMD.
> (Perhaps the DMD/LDC/GDC package can automatically install such
> a "dtools" package?)

Yes, I did consider this, and I may do it if there is an ongoing
issue with `rdmd`.  It might for example be possible to entirely
disable confinement for such a dtools package, as a short term
measure to avoid the current problems.

I did have some discussion over the advisability of splitting up
the `dmd` snap package in this discussion thread:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/snapcraft/2017-March/003645.html

... albeit I was coming at things from a slightly different angle
there.  The short version is, keeping everything in one snap
might reduce the amount of duplication; but I'm not sure that
it's a very big deal in any case.

AFAIK snap packages don't have an equivalent of deb packages'
"Recommends", but I can raise the issue.

On a different note: does anyone have an interest in there being
dmd versions available other than the most recent?