DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 13 22:43:01 PDT 2017

On 31 May 2017 at 04:06, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 5/30/2017 5:12 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>
>> Ah, isn't English wonderful. I guess Walter is suffering the inverse of
>> the Calvin & Hobbes "Verbing nouns weirds the language", nouning verbs does
>> weird the language, but only to those who aren't used to that particular
>> nouning of the verb.
>>

> Just to clarify, I find that "Compute" is not evocative of "GPU". I read
> "CUDA by Example" a couple years ago, and even downloaded the CUDA SDK and
> compiled/ran a simple program on a graphics card. But I never noticed that
> "Compute" had anything specific to do with GPU programming.
>
> I fear the conversation will go like this, like it has for me:
>
>  N: DCompute
>  W: What's DCompute?
>  N: Enables GPU programming with D
>  W: Cool!
>
> instead of:
>
>  N: D-GPU
>  W: Cool! I can use D to program GPUs!
>
> The problem with the first conversation is W may just move on to the next
> topic rather than investigate what DCompute is.

See, I would have a very different conversation:

 N: DCompute
 M: Awesome, I've been waiting!

instead of:

 N: D-GPU
 M: What's that... is it, like, a rendering library?
 N: No, it's a 'compute' library.
 M: Ohhh, awesome! I've been waiting!

;)