Life in the Fast Lane (@nogc blog post)

Eugene Wissner via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 03:05:40 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 08:51:04 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 07:03:53 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>
>> The right answer is three fold:
>> A) Examples of idiomatic D code - generic functions agnostic
>> about the memory management strategy like range algorithms;
>>
>> B) Having solid tools at the language-level for implementing
>> correct and relatively easy-to-use library primitives like
>> smart pointers and containers - @safe + pure + scope.
>>
>> C) Maintaining a list of functions/modules/third-party
>> libraries that are usable in @nogc land.
>>
>> But most of all, the focus should be on productivity and
>> ease-of-use, because otherwise people tend to get the
>> impression: TL;DR this is too complicated for me -> I can't
>> use D without the GC -> Using D without the GC is not feasible.
>
> Thanks! I agree that we need a range of posts on the GC. That's
> the whole point of the series. I have a set of posts I can
> write on topics within my current realm of knowledge, or that I
> can beef up on when the time comes, but beyond that I'm not the
> right guy to author some of the posts that need to be written.
> I haven't familiarized myself with all the corners, nor have I
> written any code that required me to push the boundaries or
> explore the possibilities.
>
> A while back, I posted an announcement here explaining my goals
> with the GC series and asking for contributors. Aside from
> Atila's automem post, I haven't gotten any takers yet. I can,
> if need be, eventually write many of the posts I'd like to
> have, but that requires making time to familiarize myself with
> the topics. Such posts will also compete with those I plan to
> write on other topics.
>
> So, in the interest of saving me a bit of time, I invite you
> and anyone who's willing to share their experiences and
> expertise with the GC. I'll happily publish any post that
> demonstrates allocation strategies, lifetime management,
> optimizations, or just generally helps to clear up
> misconceptions.

Hm. In my personal projects I'm using D exclusively as a
high-level C, so without the GC. I have also Unique and
RefCounted, that are very new and not so well tested. On the
other hand I've written a good set of containers, that are
completely @nogc and are different from std and EMSI containers.
I would be interested to write a few lines about container usage,
why not built-in arrays and so on. But I should say I need some
time, I have currently enough to write at the semester's end :)