Independent Study at my university using D

Random D user via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 12:27:17 PST 2017

On Monday, 6 March 2017 at 02:25:41 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> The precise GC is going to continue to hang until it can be
> tweaked to be as fast or faster than the conservative GC we
> have now.

In which cases?
Shouldn't this be pulled and put behind a switch? I thought D's
GC was supposed to be pluggable.

This way people could actually try to use it easily and provide
valuable real-world feedback and use cases. With some luck we
could even get someone to contribute/improve the GC (at least for
their use cases).

It doesn't have to be the default. It doesn't have to be perfect
to be released as experimental.

I would probably try it if I could enable it with a simple
compiler/application switch, but I'm not going to pull and build
it from the source.

Sounds to me like current situation actively blocks people from
contributing instead of encouraging them.