Need help

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 15 02:47:08 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 at 09:19:17 UTC, Jack Applegame wrote:
> I think that fixing such bugs is quite general interest. I'm
> not asking to do enhancement required solely to me. I'm asking
> to fix a bug, very bad bug.

The reason why your post is not appropriate here is in the name
of the forum: "announce". Many D users follow this list – and in
part indeed via email – to keep up with interesting news,
developments, and events in the wider community. If the volume
becomes too high, the forum loses its reason to exist, and we
could just merge it into the general forum entirely.

If you are having trouble figuring out what to post here, a great
way to start is to ask yourself: "What would happen if every D
user posted <their xyz> here?" What would happen if every D user
posted about the initial release of their smaller project/a fresh
release of their well-known project here? Great, that will keep
people up to speed with what's happening in the community. What
would happen if everybody posted about bugs they find and want
fixed here? Not so much. There are many more severe issues
discovered frequently, yet you don't read about them here –
because the bug tracker is the place to report them.

Of course, in this case, you might want to inform compiler
developers that you can offer a bounty for timely fixes. But the
appropriate place to do so is the DMD development list, or maybe
– if you think that the wider D audience might be able to help –
the general dm.D forum.

It goes without saying that respecting the rules and workings of
a community you want help from will drastically increase the
chances of actually receiving it.

  — David