DMD now has colorized syntax highlighting in error messages

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 15 07:31:20 PDT 2017

On 5/15/2017 6:10 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Suppose I, or someone else, were to write a PR eliminating your syntax
> highlighting in favor of semantic highlighting - colorizing to add more detail
> about the error message instead of about the lexer's output. Will you accept it?

I'm glad this sparks interest in improving the error message display, this is
good. I can't say I'd accept something given the handwavy description, you'll
need to create examples of how it would look.

One thing I have noticed while doing this is how unhelpful many of the error
messages are. Consider the first one in traits.d:

         error(loc, "size overflow for type `%s`", t.toChars());

What was the size, and what was the maximum size? The compiler has this
information, but does not supply it in the message.

This is all low hanging fruit that anyone can help with.