DMD now has colorized syntax highlighting in error messages

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 08:11:21 PDT 2017

On 5/16/2017 7:17 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> So again it is NOT color that bothers me. It is OVERUSE of color for stuff that
> isn't important to read the message which dilutes the meaning of color. It isn't
> special anymore.

Perhaps. I know I have some trouble distinguishing code from explanatory text in
error messages, particularly when the code looks like english, as in:

     error: undefined identifier maybe

Colorizing code distinguishes it from text.

The initial color choices I picked are garish on purpose, it's to try things
out. I expect to change it to more muted ones (turn off the intensity bit at
least). It's also possible to use underlining.

I'm working on the next PR that will auto-detect if Adam is running the
compiler, and will highlight code with blinking text.