DMD now has colorized syntax highlighting in error messages

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 08:38:53 PDT 2017

On 5/16/2017 8:25 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> It's also possible to use underlining.
>
> Yeah, on some systems, but not really on Windows or even all linux terminals.
> Color has broader support, though you do want to be careful not to *depend* on
> color either.

I've never met an ASCII console that didn't support underlining. This includes
the ones I used back in the 1970's, and includes the tty I designed and built
myself for a class project. It includes DOS and Windows consoles.

Underlining enjoys much broader support than color does. Color became fairly
ubiquitous rather late, in 1990 or so. The VT-100 control sequences have
effectively replaced all the other ones.

 > my terminal emulator doesn't support blinking

Then yours is a unique snowflake, as it's standard for VT-100 emulation (xterm).