DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 30 11:06:56 PDT 2017

On 5/30/2017 5:12 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> Ah, isn't English wonderful. I guess Walter is suffering the inverse of the
> Calvin & Hobbes "Verbing nouns weirds the language", nouning verbs does weird
> the language, but only to those who aren't used to that particular nouning of
> the verb.

Just to clarify, I find that "Compute" is not evocative of "GPU". I read "CUDA
by Example" a couple years ago, and even downloaded the CUDA SDK and
compiled/ran a simple program on a graphics card. But I never noticed that
"Compute" had anything specific to do with GPU programming.

I fear the conversation will go like this, like it has for me:

  N: DCompute
  W: What's DCompute?
  N: Enables GPU programming with D
  W: Cool!

instead of:

  N: D-GPU
  W: Cool! I can use D to program GPUs!

The problem with the first conversation is W may just move on to the next topic
rather than investigate what DCompute is.