DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 31 16:28:58 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 22:15:33 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 12:28:47 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
> wrote:
>> Perhaps there will be scope for renaming if/when this also
>> includes graphics when either OpenCL is merged into the Vulkan
>> API or Petar Kirov gets Vulkan SPIRV generation going on LLVM,
>> but for now the name stays.
>
> People who GPU program are indeed a small group. But you do NOT
> entice other people to try it, when they do not even know a
> language has this feature set. And this comes down to marketing.
>
> Lets post "D has DCompute" or "D has D-GPU"... on Reddit,
> ycombinator and other forum or news site.
>
> What do you think people will more likely click on?

So you don't post either of those titles and instead post "D has
DCompute: Native heterogeneous computing on GPUs and more, hassle
free!"

> And so what if people start a big discussion about the name. If
> only 10% of those people come to the D site from a either
> language, its a instant success. Positive or negative marketing
> is a win-win in this case.

For this discussion it is not the case, I haven't seen any new
names.
So (everybody) please discontinue derailing this thread.

> My advice to Walter is to hire a actual marketing person that
> can help focus resources and ideas.

Perhaps that is a good idea,  but it is not for me to decide. For
my part in marketing I plan to give a talk/workshop at IWOCL just
after DConf next may.