LDC 1.5.0

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sun Nov 5 18:04:38 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially
> announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>
> * Based on D 2.075.1.
> * Polished LLVM 5.0 support (now also used for the prebuilt
> release packages).
> * Prebuilt ARM-Linux package available again.
> * New command-line option `-linker` and ~25 new advanced ones
> for codegen fine-tuning.
> * Bugfixes, as always.
>
> Full release log and downloads:
> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.5.0
>
> Thanks to all contributors!
>
> [LDC master is at v2.076.1, so LDC 1.6 won't take long.]

Great work by the LDC team! Thanks to all the LTO work in 1.4 and
1.5, the Travis-CI builds of the eBay TSV utilities are LTO
enabled for Phobos & Druntime as well as the application code.
This is for both Linux and OS X builds. Couldn't do that before
the LDC 1.5 release.

The OS X executables are materially faster with the end-to-end
LTO support. I haven't benchmarked the Linux versions yet. It
would be very interesting to have get benchmark numbers from
other apps, especially those making material use of phobos.