We're looking for a Software Developer! (D language)

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Nov 29 11:41:39 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 at 10:47:31 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 January 2015 at 11:10:09 UTC, Johanna Burgos
> wrote:
>> Your Mission
>>

>> Your Track Record
>>
>> Degree in Computer Science, or closely-related
>>

> It baffles me that recruitment still works using this as a
> requirement. A CS graduate will never know any of these besides
> basic intro to C, C++, html, css,  databases,  and basic
> hardware-software theory... without self learning and practice.

Sure it will, it is a matter of university quality.

During my 5 year degree, we got to learn about C++, Prolog, Caml
Light and SML, x86 and MIPS Assembly, Pascal, PL/SQL, Java,
Smalltalk.

Those that took compiler design, also had a look into Algol,
Concurrent C, Oberon, Modula-3, Eiffel, Lisp.

We had access to DG/UX, Aix, GNU/Linux, Mac System 7 and Windows
as OSes.

Additionally we got all the layers of OS development, from
drivers to graphics programming, distributed computing using PWM
and MPI, web design, architecture, algorithms and data
structures, calculus, linear algebra among many other concepts.

Each area required projects to be delivered during each semester
and final examination.

Sure many can self learn some of those themes, but it requires a
big discipline to keep the rhythm.