We're looking for a Software Developer! (D language)

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Nov 30 01:27:03 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 at 10:47:31 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 January 2015 at 11:10:09 UTC, Johanna Burgos
> wrote:
>> Your Mission
>>

>> Your Track Record
>>
>> Degree in Computer Science, or closely-related
>>

> It baffles me that recruitment still works using this as a
> requirement. A CS graduate will never know any of these besides
> basic intro to C, C++, html, css,  databases,  and basic
> hardware-software theory... without self learning and practice.
>
> I've never sat in a cs class for a second and I will be bored
> to death learning these stuff in lectures. I learnt them beyond
> the syllables years back on my own at a much quicker pase.
>
> You become experienced and skilled when you're passionate about
> it.  Its how I started from being curious about how software is
> made to a full stack generalist... knowing more stack than the
> above requirements.
>
> You want skills not pedigree.

Incompetence in hiring and HR is par for the course pretty much
everywhere, lots of threads about it on proggit/HN/blogs these
days.  Take for example the recent sexual harassment scandals in
the US, where HR depts did nothing for decades.  People rightly
complain about much smaller stuff than that not getting done well
by HR, so of course they don't handle real malfeasance properly.

The biggest joke is that these companies all claim they want the
best talent, when they have no idea what the best is in the first
place:

https://danluu.com/programmer-moneyball/

It is one of the main reasons for the rise of open source,
because you can't stop anyone from contributing or forking,
assuming they have the extra time/money to do so.