Eilmer4 - a Computational Fluid Dynamics code in D

Peter Jacobs peterj at mech.uq.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 22:16:09 UTC 2017

Eilmer is a simulation code for studying high-speed compressible
flows.  Early versions were written in C and then C++.  Version 4
is a complete rewrite in D, with Lua for configuration and
run-time scripting.  Code and documentation may be found at
http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/

This note is principally to say thank you to all of the people
who have made the D programming language and its ecosystem.
Being mechanical engineers, we are occasional but serious
programmers.  For a number of years, we struggled with C++ and a
code base of growing complexity.  In 2014, we made a serious
commitment to reworking the entire code into D. In mid-2017, the
new code was complete enough for general use and it is currently
being used in a fourth-year course on computational fluid
dynamics.  The D programming language has enhanced our
programming experience and, for that, we are grateful to the many
people who have built the foundation upon which we build our flow
simulation code.

Cheers,
Peter Jacobs and Rowan Gollan