Eilmer4 - a Computational Fluid Dynamics code in D

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Oct 6 23:49:33 UTC 2017

On Friday, 6 October 2017 at 22:16:09 UTC, Peter Jacobs wrote:
> Eilmer is a simulation code for studying high-speed
> compressible flows.  Early versions were written in C and then
> C++.  Version 4 is a complete rewrite in D, with Lua for
> configuration and run-time scripting.  Code and documentation
> may be found at http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/
>
> This note is principally to say thank you to all of the people
> who have made the D programming language and its ecosystem.
> Being mechanical engineers, we are occasional but serious
> programmers.  For a number of years, we struggled with C++ and
> a code base of growing complexity.  In 2014, we made a serious
> commitment to reworking the entire code into D. In mid-2017,
> the new code was complete enough for general use and it is
> currently being used in a fourth-year course on computational
> fluid dynamics.  The D programming language has enhanced our
> programming experience and, for that, we are grateful to the
> many people who have built the foundation upon which we build
> our flow simulation code.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter Jacobs and Rowan Gollan

Congtatulations on a job well done. Your motivation for use of
the D Programming Language is the same as ours. I found your
paper describing the rewrite [1] very interesting, I think it
deserves a more prominent mention here and on the usual news
sites.

Bastiaan

[1]
http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/pdfs/T0316-eilmer-dlang-v2.pdf