DCompute target: Intel to Introduce New CPU-FPGA Hybrid Chip Supported by Acceleration Stack

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 12:25:59 UTC 2017

On Friday, 20 October 2017 at 20:41:24 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> Ever since I first tried programming in VHDL and realized that
> it, at that time, was far too unproductive for my taste, I've
> been waiting for the software and FPGA programming models to
> unite...
>
> What kinds of simplifications (over OpenCL) can and will
> DCompute offer in this regard?

Over OpenCL: Same benefits it does over standard C
* a not completely insane interface
* generality and parameterisation
* reusability
* ...

As to how much of the total power of the FPGA you can use from D
compared to VHDL remains to be seen, although it will be
interesting to see how well this can cooperate with Luís' DHDL.