dpeq - native PSQL extended query protocol client

Boris-Barboris via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 4 01:12:26 PDT 2017

On Monday, 4 September 2017 at 06:40:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> If would be great if you want to upstream your improvements.
>
> I think it's a bit unfortunate that everyone is rolling their
> own implementations in this community instead of working
> together. I would say that it's rare to need direct access to
> the messages of the protocol. But perhaps the library can be
> better structured in layers/levels, allowing the user to pick
> the most suitable level for his/her needs.

I did try (for example
https://github.com/teamhackback/hb-ddb/pull/38, branch with the
buffer:
https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/hb-ddb/commits/buffered_sockets),
up until the point I understood I dislike it so much it would be
easier for me to rewrite it. Amount of possible message
combinations made me write some hack methods like
prepare_and_bind, bind_and_query, bind_and_execute... I kinda
gave up.

It is rare indeed, I would not recommend it to anyone sane, but
abstractions leak, and when they do, they better not have
everything marked private or belong to separate address space.