D on Tiobe Index

bitwise via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 6 09:13:29 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 at 11:14:00 UTC, Maksim Fomin
wrote:
> On Thursday, 31 August 2017 at 16:37:35 UTC, SrMordred wrote:
>> On Thursday, 31 August 2017 at 14:57:28 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>>> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/d/
>>
>> What happened in 2009?
>
> My guess is constant random methodology changes. I was tracking
> TIOBE index each month from 2011 till 2016. I remember they
> announced changes in methodology in title page approximately
> once per 3-4 months. For example, changing the base from 100%
> to sum of percentages of all languages(<100%) increased
> reported % of each language. Taking this into account means
> that changes in particular month tells nothing. The trend is,
> however, positive: in 2014-2017 years D stands higher than in
> 2011-2014 (if you have faith in TIOBE averages). I see
> sometimes positive discussions about D at completely unexpected
> local tech sites.

That was my thinking too. A real dip as large as what's shown on
the graph for 2009 would probably take 3-4 large companies that
use D randomly shutting down in perfect unison - highly unlikely.
I think that if the glitch were removed, what would remain would
be a nice steady upward slope.