GDC in Slackware and a bit about GDC development

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Sat Sep 23 19:45:02 UTC 2017

Hi,

lately I finally got some time to create GDC package for
Slackware Linux [1].
Slackware ships gcc 5.3.0, therefore GDC package is the latest
version from "gcc5" branch. It has phobos and druntime 2.076.0-b1
and the frontend somewhere between 2.075 and 2.076.
Since Slackware packages are built by plain shell scripts, I
thought I make an announce, because it can be used as a reference
by people, who whant to build the latest GDC from source. The
only difference between Slackware and mainstream Linux
distributions (Ubuntu, Debian) I'm aware of, is that x86-64
Slackware isn't multiarch by default.

The package is on slackbuilds.org [2]. The direct link to the
build script is [3].
GDC looks pretty nice. I had only one problem: I got a linking
error if I use core.stdc.stdarg; not sure if it is my failure or
a bug. But I could build my library and run tests. Pretty nice.

I also would like to point to the "GCC tiny" tutorial [4]. The
tutorial tells how to create a GCC frontend for a Pascal-like
language, tiny. And it is a great thing to learn about GCC
internals for someone who wants to help with GDC development, the
best one I could find in the last months.

[1] http://www.slackware.com/
[2] https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/development/gcc-d/
[3]
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/development/gcc-d/gcc-d.SlackBuild