DIP 1009 (Add Expression-Based Contract Syntax) Accepted

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Apr 6 16:57:21 UTC 2018

On Friday, April 06, 2018 08:00:42 H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 12:26:36PM +0000, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> > Congratulations to Zach Tollen and everyone who worked on DIP 1009. It
> > took a painful amount of time to get it through the process, but it
> > had finally come out of the other side with an approval.
>
> WOOHOO!!!! Just this week, I've started to wonder whatever happened to
> this DIP.  So happy to hear it's approved!!  Finally, sane contract
> syntax!

It definitely improves the syntax, but I confess that I still don't see much
point in using contracts outside of virtual functions. Everywhere else, the
behavior is the same if you just put assertions at the top of the function.
Now, if the contracts ended up in the documentation or something - or if it
were actually changed so that contracts were compiled in based on how the
caller were compiled rather than the callee - then maybe having an actual
contract would make sense, but as it stands, I don't see the point.

- Jonathan M Davis