LDC 1.9.0 beta

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Tue Apr 24 15:53:23 UTC 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 at 09:18:07 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> What about Webassembly support? Latest LLVM suppport it, so LDC
> should support also.

We don't support a lot of platforms that llvm supports. It will
require someone to work on the port, which hasn't happened. I've
said before that I don't think it's worth it, because the web has
been declining as a platform:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/unqvdzopebfksnxwhoqn@forum.dlang.org

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at 08:47:49 UTC, Radu wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 April 2018 at 15:56:49 UTC, kinke wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to announce the first beta
>> for LDC 1.9. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>>
>> * Based on D 2.079.1, including new `-i` switch and support
>> for a minimal (d)runtime.
>> * Support for LLVM 6, used for all prebuilt packages (except
>> for Win32).
>> * `-link-internally` able to (cross-)link Windows, Linux and
>> macOS binaries.
>> * Prebuilt Linux and macOS packages now shipping with LTO-able
>> druntime/Phobos.
>> * Improved support for MIPS targets and the uClibc runtime
>> library.
>> * Various fixes, incl. druntime/Phobos/ldc-jit .dylib issues
>> on macOS.
>>
>> Full release log and downloads:
>> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.9.0-beta1
>>
>> Thanks to all contributors!
>
> Looks that not all my druntime and phobos PR got in. Is this
> because they were not included in 2.0.79 mainline release?

Yes, ldc releases are the same as dmd releases, with some
ldc-specific changes. We generally don't backport features from
upstream.

> ATM uClibc is not usable as is, it doesn't even compile because
> of various missing pieces, bummer :(

Yeah, this beta doesn't even have a MIPS backend. How much of the
testsuite do you have working on MIPS/uClibc? If you have it
pretty far along, we can probably cherry-pick what you need and
ship it with 1.9 for people to try.