Symmetry Autumn of Code

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 05:22:44 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 at 04:47:42 UTC, tanner00 wrote:

> Hi, I’m interested in working on this project and just wanted
> to touch base. Is there any word on who will be mentoring this
> project? I’m entering college this fall but I’ve been
> programming since a very young age and enjoy systems
> programming.

The project is mostly about creating high-performance,
resource-efficient 2D software rasterizer, something like this
(http://nothings.org/gamedev/rasterize/) or
(https://medium.com/@raphlinus/inside-the-fastest-font-renderer-in-the-world-75ae5270c445)  If that isn't enough work for the event you can build on it by creating path objects with clipping and offsetting (http://angusj.com/delphi/clipper.php), rasterizing TrueType or OpenType fonts, creating drawing primitives, and even potentially creating 2D widgets (buttons, text labels, etc.)  I think it's up to you how much of it you want to take on.

I proposed the idea, but I don't think I'd be a very good mentor
for the project because I've never created a 2D rasterizer
myself.  However, I'd be happy to help anyone working on the
project in an unofficial capacity, and can probably articulate
the intended use case for it.

Mike