Dub support was added to Meson

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 16 22:44:27 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 at 09:31:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> That's the battle isn't it. Should the system that builds be
> the system that also manages the packages for the build (cf.
> Dub, Cargo, Go, Mason), or should the two be kept separate (cf.
> CMake, Meson, SCons, Make).
>
> The debate has been had on the D mailing lists a number of
> times and at great length. But in the end D, Rust, and Go are
> going with a single system for everything.

This is obviously bad. Your distro has a package manager, you
should use it, not create a separated language-specific one. If
you are doing this locally, either but using the user's home of
by installing to /usr/local, I don't think it's much of a
problem. If you are implementing something like this at least do
it in a way that the package managing feature is optional. I
don't know if I'm being biased by being an Archlinux TU but from
my perspective, it's not something we should do, at the very
least globally.

> I am not sure how "dub describe" tells you which compiler is
> being used, it always says "compiler": "dmd" on my projects
> even though I only use ldc2 for build.

Weirdly enough, I can reproduce. This was working when I wrote
the patch. I've opened an issue in the upstream.