Beta 2.082.0

Martin Nowak code+news.digitalmars at dawg.eu
Sat Aug 18 16:51:18 UTC 2018

On 08/18/2018 10:39 AM, Radu wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 August 2018 at 08:30:31 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 August 2018 at 08:22:54 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> It's a little old, but from what I'm reading we need "reputation"
>>> with Microsoft or an EV certificate, or publish on the Windows Store.

Let's please try to avoid getting into more of this nonsense.

I understand that common Windows users have a very different thread
model than linux developers, hence the crappy Anti-Virus rootkits.
I'd expect the Windows dev audience we're targeting with D to be a bit
more capable than common Windows users though.
OTOH company policies for Windows devs might require UAC and disallow
installing untrusted stuff.

>> I'm also reading that once the executable has been downloaded a number
>> of times from different IP addresses, it will be registered as safe in
>> Microsoft's database.  Maybe we just need to wait for more people to
>> download it and run it.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Yes, it needs to build up reputation trough multiple downloads and
> installations. This can take up to a week.

Beta is 2 weeks sounds fine then. So please download and install the
beta, sth. you should always do ;).

Fortunately Microsoft has finally bumped their max filesize on the
Binary submit form from 20 to 200 MiB
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission).

I just submitted the beta installer using my private Microsoft account
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/submission/9180949d-7efd-403f-b7e2-66e334e3e37e).

Would be good to know exactly the recognized "Detection name" Windows
Defender found (see
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=849601#detection-history).

In case this helps we can look at automating this using a dlang.org
specific account.

-Martin