GDC with D frontend 2.081.2

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Fri Aug 24 05:35:13 UTC 2018

As some of you may know D frontend was merged into GDC some time
ago and is up to date. D version currently supported by GDC is
2.081.2 and it can be found in "gdc-7" and "gdc-8" branches. I
will say a bit more about GDC development and development plans
later.

I prepared GDC/GCC 7.3.0 binaries for x86-64 Linux built on
Ubuntu 18.04:

https://download.dlackware.com/gdc/gdc-7.3.0_2.081.2-linux-x86_64.tar.xz

I’m not a regular Ubuntu user, and built GDC in a VM, so don't
blame me (too much) if something doesn’t work, but let me know
anyway. For testing I've used a minimal Ubuntu installation and
had to install only "libc-dev" package. The package includes gcc,
g++, gdc and standard GNU tools, but no D tools like dub. I still
need some time to automate the building, then I can build for
more platforms and provide some core tools.

We support several GCC versions and we still support C++-frontend
(D version: 2.076). The reason for this is that C++-frontend
should be merged into the next GCC version (GCC 9), then it can
be built without another D compiler. D frontend goes into GCC 10
and can be built with GCC 9, so GCC can be bootstrapped without
external compilers and can be used to bootstrap other D compilers.

Current branch model. There are 2 "master" branches: master and
stable. master contains D frontend and follows DMD master (we'll
see if we can update every week or every two weeks). stable
contains C++ frontend which doesn't get new D features anymore
but of course we merge bug fixes from master. Both follow GCC
master (master is updated weekly to GCC snapshots, stable from
time to time).
stable has 4 derivates: gdc-8-stable, gdc-7-stable, gdc-6-stable
and gdc-5-stable. It seems to be a lot, but the last merge from
stable was really trivial, so the most work is done on the master
derivates: "gdc-8" and "gdc-7" branches. These two follow DMD
stable and contain stable D releases.